Monday, July 28, 2008

Something Old, Something New...

At least I've already got the something blue (or actually,rather a lot of them).

Over the weekend, I grew curious about something as I leveled my pally. I've leveled a pally before, but that was when I didn't know as much about the game, so I did it badly. Now that I'm a little more wise about the rules, I'm paying attention to the little esoterica such as my defense, block, parry, dodge, etc. In other words, I'm watching my mitigation, something near and dear to every tank's heart.

I've noticed while playing that I tend to avoid most of the damage coming my way by either blocking it, parrying it, or dodging it. Needless to say, this really helps on the old repair bills. But what I'm curious about, is how good is my mitigation now and how do I tell if something is an upgrade?

After a little searching, I came across TankPoints. It's an older addon that hasn't been updated in over a year. Regardless, it doesn't seem to care (no error messages so far) and seems to work just fine. I'll keep playing with it and will let you know how it goes.

On the other side, WoWInsider posted a review of an addon called GoGoMount. It sounds about perfect for my needs, and probably for yours as well. What it does is macro all your possible mount solutions to one button and chooses the appropriate one for the occasion. That includes travel forms for druids and shamans as well. I'll test it out later, but if it works as anticipated, I should be able to free up some buttons on all my guys/girls.

Update: Chris suggested Ratingbuster. I'm going to give it a try next because while TankPoints gives some good info, it's a little on the esoteric side because you've got to decipher what it's trying to tell you (and I'm afraid that the info might be out of date).

Update 2: Upon checking, I already use RatingBuster. It is an awesome addon that I have enjoyed for a while and it actually works well with TP.

2 comments:

Chris said...

ratingsbuster works really well too

http://wow.curse.com/downloads/details/4991/

Mad Man said...

Ooooo--Maybe it'll be better than TankPoints. TP does ok, but it's not fantastic.

Thanks for the info! I'll give it a try.