Wednesday, August 20, 2008

OK, Now What?


So I hit 66 on my Pally last night. I finally got the opportunity to dig some of that armor out of my bank that I've been holding onto for a while (most found with another character--I just kept it. And yes, I really do plan that far in advance.)

I'm sporting 413 defense, just in excess of 9500 armor and 8700 health. Not too shabby for 66 (the Armory apparently isn't completely up-to-date. It still shows 65.) Now I'm starting to see why protection specced Paladins opt out of Reckoning. You honestly get hit so little, that the chances of it proccing are very slim indeed.

So, I'm now looking at re-speccing into more of a "pure" protection build. I dug around and most point to this. That looks more-or-less like what I planned, but there are some differences that have me scratching my head.

In their build, one would forgo Blessing of Kings and Spell Warding in favor of One-Handed Weapon Specialization. I can't figure out why.

Blessing of Kings (BoK) is the most requested buff I have. I use it myself on a regular basis. That extra 10% to all stats is a beautiful thing and comes in handy when you know that you're going to be tanking something where just a little edge is all the difference between an impossible fight and a do-able one.

Spell Warding isn't much, but as Han said, "Short help is better than none, Chewie." That extra 4% less spell damage adds up pretty quickly when fighting multiple casters and bosses.

On the other hand, an extra 5% weapon damage sounds good on paper, but really it's kind of pointless IMHO. Let's face it, pally's don't hold agro with their damage. In fact, my damage is downright pitiful. In the areas like Nagrand, when Horde has the Halaa blessing and I do have the extra 5% damage, honestly I can't tell much of a difference. I mean, I might hit for 125 white damage ordinarily. Now I'm hitting for 131! Woohoo! I'm cooking with gas now, sweetheart!

Really, and for giving up Kings and Spell Warding, I'm not even getting that much. It's really only a 3% boost. So what gives? Hell, I'm probably getting a 3% damage boost from Kings anyway by bumping my stats 10%. Lord knows I'm getting much better mitigation, and isn't that the name of the game for prot pally's?


Camp Taurajo, just a little south of Barrens chat

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You're making a common mistake. One-Handed Weapon Spec doesn't increase weapon damage; it increases all damage. Including the sweet, sweet Holy damage that scales for threat. Read the tooltip carefully:

"Increases all damage you deal when a one-handed weapon is equipped ..."

I've tested it: it does indeed increase damage from things like Consecration, Holy Shield, Seal of Righteousness, and so on. In other words, you're putting out an extra 5% Holy damage when fully invested in this talent, which when Righteous Fury is up translates to about 9% more threat.

Now, 5 talent points is a lot to spend, and you have to make a tradeoff somewhere. But any tankadin who spends no points at all on One-Handed Weapon Specialization is throwing away a whole lot of extra threat. It's not the no-brainer that you think it is.

Mad Man said...

Thanks for the help, Robin. My GL also informed me of this last night.

I guess I'll be working on that new spec today :-)